- express a simple truth (not limited in time)
- She works very hard.
- My friend speaks four languages
- John lives in Berlin.
- I don't like dogs.
- Do you smoke?
- Water freezes at 0° Celsius.
- Trees lose their leaves in autumn.
- Cats don't live as long as humans.
- Does wealth bring happiness?
- express an intention about the future
- I'm going to be a teacher when I grow up.
- I'm going to try and learn 10 new words a day.
- She's going to buy a new computer as soon as she has enough money.
- What are you going to do tomorrow?
- express an untrue or unlikely thought about the past (conditional 3)
- If I had known she was here, I would have called her.
- If I had had enough money, I would have bought you a better mp3 player.
- I wish I had studied for my exams.
- I would have been in big trouble if you hadn't helped me.
- express an untrue or unlikely thought about the present (conditional 2)
- If I had a lot of money, I'd buy a new car.
- If you bought an iPod, you wouldn't have to use mine.
- It would be better if you didn't do that!
- express annoyance at repeated actions
- You are always interrupting me when I'm talking.
- My mother's always telling me to clean my room.
- make a prediction about the future
- The sun will rise at 6.30 tomorrow.
- You will be in trouble if you do that again.
- We will run out of oil by the end of the 21st century.
- Will you be here next week?
- I'm sure my parents won't let me go to the party.
- refer to a future scheduled event
- Hurry up! The train leaves in 10 minutes.
- The meeting starts at 2.45.
- My plane departs from Frankfurt at 5am and arrives in Seoul 14 hours later.
- report words said in the present perfect
- I told her that I had never eaten sushi before.
- He said that he hadn't done his homework.
- I asked him if he had ever seen a ghost.
- report words said in the present simple
- She said she was 12 years old. ("I'm 12.")
- He said he could speak 5 languages. ("I can speak 5 languages.")
- summarize the plot of a book or film
- Romeo thinks that Juliet is dead and he kills himself.
- Frodo decides to leave his home and go in search of the ring.
- talk about actions happening at some time in the past
- You phoned while I was having a bath.
- Sorry, I wasn't listening. Can you say it again please?
- What were you doing at 8 o'clock yesterday? .
- How fast was she driving when she had the accident?
- I threw my calculator away because it wasn't working properly
- talk about future arrangements
- I'm meeting my sister in town tomorrow.
- I can't go to the dance next week. I'm playing tennis with John.
- I'm not going to the doctor after school today as planned. I feel much better.
- talk about past events with a connection to the present
- I have lost my dictionary.
- Mary has fixed my computer.
- You haven't eaten very much. Don't you feel well?
- Have you seen my calculator?
- talk about the past in the past
- I arrived very late at the party. All my friends had already gone home.
- As soon as she had done her homework, she went to bed.
- I was very hungry because I hadn't eaten lunch.
- Had you seen the film before?
- talk about the past using a word of unfinished time
- I've lived in Germany since 1986.
- He's had a lot of bad luck recently.
- I haven't seen my mother for 2 months.
- Have you ever seen a ghost?
- Has she lived here all her life?
- talk about things happening now
- I can't come now; I'm doing my homework.
- Look! Someone is trying to break into your locker.
- Your work is getting better and better.
- It isn't raining any more.
- Why are you talking? You should be listening to me?
- talk about things that happen regularly/repeatedly
- I always clean my teeth before breakfast.
- Once a week I play golf with my brother.
- talk about what happened in the past (finished time)
- I came to Germany two years ago.
- Italy won the World Cup in 2006.
- I didn't see you in school yesterday.
- Did you like the film?
- Why didn't you do your homework?
- tell a joke or retell past events in a such way as to make them seem more interesting
- A man walks into a bar and orders 5 glasses of beer ..
- So I go up to him and knock his hat off ..
- use a verb of mental processes or senses
- I know the answer.
- I don't believe you.
- This cheese tastes strange.
- Do you smell something funny?